José Martínez de Velasco, the head of Spain's blog, Trastevere, asks a series of questions of the Papal Delegate. Original here.
Two years after the Holy See's release of the report following the Apostolic Visitation, it would be nice if someone finally answers the questions everyone asks:
- Why does Father Alvaro Corcuera and other superiors in Rome or elsewhere, continue to occupy leadership positions at the head of the congregation and its territories?
- Why has the Legion not publicly apologized to the victims of the predator Maciel and why isn't it seriously committed to compensating the victims?
- Why does the Legion continue to stifle the sexual abuse cases?
- Why do those who have suppressed scandals - and whose names are on everyone's lips - continue in the Legion, although sheltered from view?
- What has happened with the children - recognized or not - of Maciel?
- How is it that the private vow has reappeared in the draft new constitutions, on which the Legion is working to reform?
- Why have questions about Social Security for religious, priests and consecrated (sic) not been addressed, so that those who demand respect for their legitimate rights are forced to go through the courts?
- Why did the superiors of the Legion appeal to an outside agency to shed light on cases of pedophilia, while for years and until now, there are people who have been repeatedly denounced these business, despite persecution and pressures of all kinds (and even calumnies) they have suffered and continue to suffer? [translation unreliable -- please help!]
- Why has the information about the Holy See's investigation concerning the seven accused of sexual abuse been made public precisely now ... when we know perfectly well that there are many other cases, and that all were already reported - with full name - in many forums, and this for years?
- Why was the case of Father Thomas Williams released just now?
- Why has the Legion not taken the time to seriously question the fact that all members of the Oriol family have left the Congregation, one after the other? Why does the Legion not address the enormous wealth that the family has made available to the Legion?
- Why did Benedict XVI not meet with the Legion's victims of sexual abuse during his last visit to Mexico? How could anyone tolerate the fact that the Mexican Episcopal Conference did nothing to arrange such a meeting?
- What is the result of attacks Athie Alberto has suffered in recent weeks from the Bishops' Conference?
- Why was there no answer to the letter of Juan Jose Vaca, addressed to the Pope in which he asked why he had not met with the victims in Mexico?
- Why was there no answer to Nieves Garcia' letter -- so touching, sincere and courageous -- addressed to Father Montan?
- How long, Cardinal De Paolis, are we to question your reasons for inefficiency as suggested or imposed?
- Finally, Eminence, when will we finally get to see that truth that will set us free?