Coming to Philadelphia:
ICSA will conduct a special event in Philadelphia from 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM on Sunday, October 13, 2013. The event will take place at the Sheraton Philadelphia University City (36th and Chestnut St.).In this special event, cult intervention specialists and mental health professionals will discuss their roles in helping families and former members, in particular how they work together and how they differ.
Among the questions to be examined are:
This event should be useful to former members of high-control groups or relationships, families concerned about an affected loved one, and helping professionals whose assistance is sometimes sought by families and former members.
- What assessment criteria should be considered to determine the appropriateness and feasibility of cult-related interventions?
- What criteria should be considered to determine the appropriateness of mental health consultation and/or treatment?Speakers include some of the leading "exit counselors" and mental health professionals in this field, including (see “People Profiles” link on www.icsahome.com for biographical data):
- David Clark
- Steve K. D. Eichel, PhD, ABPP
- Lorna Goldberg, MSW, LCSW, PsyA
- William Goldberg, MSW, LCSW, PsyA
- Steven Hassan, Med, LMHC, NCC
- Joseph Kelly
- Arnold Markowitz, LCSW
- Patrick Ryan
- Daniel Shaw, LCSW
- Joseph SzimhartWe hope you join us! Please tell others and donate if you cannot attend. Thank you.
Please spread the word, and support this event with your prayers.
ADDENDUM: There is also an ICSA conference coming up in Santa Fe (2-3 November). Check site for those details since the cut-off date is approaching for discounted hotel rates.
UPDATE II: The ICSA site is offering free e-books for those who sign up. If you use this link, you can sign up anonymously, and access the following texts:
- Coping with Cult Involvement: A Handbook for Families and Friends - Bardin, Livia (e-book)
- Recovery from Abusive Groups - Wendy Ford (e-book)
- Family Interventions for Cult-Affected Loved Ones - Carol Giambalvo (e-book)
- Herbert Rosedale Memorial Collection (articles on social and legal implications of cults
- Cults on Campus - Marcia Rudin (e-book)
- Margaret Singers Memorial Collection (articles on psychological and treatment aspect of cults)
- Satanism and Occult-Related Violence: What You Should Know (Michael Langone & Linda Blood) (e-book)
- Starting Out in Mainstream America (Livia Bardin) (e-book)
- A collection of significant articles